View all images of Conen Commercial Block
|1907||Conen Building is built|
abutting the old simmons building on the west side is the Conen Block it was erected for investment purposes thirteen years later than the simmons structure by george and christina conen, who ran a saloon on the corner under an agreement with the evansville brewing association. In spring 1907, the couple commissioned local architect frank j schlotter to plan a multi-use building for land between their saloon and simmons property that they had acquired several years earlier from william eickmeier, a blacksmith and wagon maker. construction was carried out during the summer by master brick mason anton kessler. the finely crafted, three-story structure was completed in early September and its ground-floor premises were leased out to the Krescent 5 & 10 In addition to retail use, the building had available space for other uses. On the second and third floors, across the front, were offices and a small meeting room. Occupying the rear portion of the structure was a two-story-high hall designed to accommodate large social gatherings one of the first events held in the new hall was a masquerade ball put on in November (1907) by the Independent Order of Foresters.