View all images of Vine Street Presbyterian
|1843||Church is built|
|1874||Moves to new location|
Vine St Presbyterian was organized in 1838 after national theological divisions produced a local schism between it and the Presbyterian Church (Little Church on the Hill). Encorporated as Evansville Presbyterian Church, the "old school" faction temporarily met at the original courthouse.
In 1843, a new church was built at the corner of 2nd and Vine St. The church was appropriately renamed Vine Street Presbyterian.
The church worshipped at this site until a new building on 2nd and Mulberry St was completed. The congregation moved in 1874 and was renamed Grace Presbyterian.
The church stood for several years, vacant 1884 and 1895 used as ?. Razed >1895 <1910 The building is still visible in 1888 map? and in 1884 and 1895 sanborns used as livery stable in 1910 later site of YWCA