Historic Evansville

The definitive site for all things historic in Evansville

Municipal Market

Municipal Market
Municipal Market

View all images of Municipal Market

a.k.a. Old City Market

813 Pennsylvannia St
Evansville, IN

Quick Timeline

1917-8 Built
1955 Hose House
1979 Fire station relocates


District: Lamasco
Latitude: 37.978147344873
Longitude: -87.575604915619
View map of nearby sites


Style: Prairie School
Architect: Thole,Edward J., Shopbell,Clifford,& Co.



opened 1916 penn between 1st and 2nd ave orginally little market but grew to compare with 4th st child guidance center moved to old colored orphanage (washington home) 1958 market lasted until 1954 taken over by fire dept (old hose house 3 ) in 1955 almost razed moved out 1980 to east section of fulton park front wing razed (when converted to fire station)?

1979 new station on fulton and franklin

1980-7 metropolitan evansville transit sytem bus garage 1994 apr fire damaged east end 1998 for sale / on chopping block now fire and rain

See also Businesses / Commercial Lamasco district

Research notes

+ Show research notes