Historic Evansville

The definitive site for all things historic in Evansville

Metal Furniture Co

Metal Furniture Co


Metal Furniture Co

View all images of Metal Furniture Co

605 W Eichel
Evansville, IN

Quick Timeline

1905-6 Factory built for Metal Furniture Co
1929 Bought by Hoosier Lamp and Stamping
1957 Hoosier Cardinal stop operations


Southeast corner of First and Belt RR (Morgan Ave) / block bounded by Morgan Oakley Eichel and First
District: Enterprise
Latitude: 37.991973
Longitude: -87.574178
View map of nearby sites




johann manufacturing co

evansville metal furniture co new plant 1906 The Metal Furniture company started their new plant in operation on May 15. The plant is one of the most conveniently arranged in the furniture business. The dimensions are 60 x 270, part of the plant being two stories, the foundry being a one story structure. The company occupies five acres of ground, and a switch track has been placed along side of the building its entire length. The factory has been erected in such a manner that the raw material goes first to the foundry, after which it is goes to the enameling department the next room. From there to the kilns; next the packing room and then to the shipping room. President Cadden says the arrangement is such as to be a great saving in handling. The plant has a capacity of fifteen hundred beds per day and being equipped with the most modern machinery, the company is in a position to look after the wants of the trade in excellent shape assuring good, reliable first class goods at low prices as well as prompt delivery metal furniture co [1910]-63 [1922]

bought by hoosier lamp and stamping 1929 overpass on first ave looks like factory rebuilt >1937 <1962 hoosier lamp & stamping co hoosier cardinal factory hoosier co on read st 605 w eichel 1928-1940 1936 builds new plant farther west on morgan (old factory across from sunbeam elec) 1936 moves into klamer-goebel furniture co (bought 1935 used as warehouse) at edgar and eichel and builds addition 1936 overhead bridge permit on morgan to connect sunbeam and hoosier company overhead bridge connects main plant east of first ave two blocks between belt RR and eichel (johann manufacturing co) and west (old schelosky table works) 1957 stopped operations, buildings idle first ave building razed spring 2009 1960 clark foam products moves in to 1506 First Ave into 3 story building (from 915 n st joe-peerless) [1962]-63 still there? replaced by hoosier cardinal factory

See also Businesses / Commercial Enterprise district

Research notes

+ Show research notes