View all images of Schmadel Packing Co
|c1890||Packing plant built|
|c1920||Office building added|
Louis Schmadel was a live stock dealer in the 1890s. His operation, later known as Evansville Stock Yards, was the northernmost point in the city before crossing the Pigeon Creek. Schmadel also operated a saloon on his property.
Louis Schmadel Packing Co was founded c1892 specializing in ice and cold storage. It was incorporated in 1902 as Schmadel Packing and Ice Co. The company also including meat packing and later fertilizer maunfacturing.
An office was built sometime around 1920. That bungalow is still standing
The plant was still around 1953 but gone by 1966 Office was reportedly reused when there was a trailer park. More recently it served as the offices for a used car lot