View all images of Sacred Heart School
In July 1913 land was purchased on Franklin St and Upper Mt Vernon to accomodate the growing church. A new building, complete with a school and living quarters for the sisters on the first floor and a sanctuary on the second floor that served as the church, cost $36,000 to build. When construction was completed in 1914, the parish moved from the old location on Iowa.
A dedicated convent was built in 1921 for the sisters teaching at the school.
Services were held in school until Sacred Heart Catholic Church was built in 1928.