View all images of Perry Heights School
|1939||School is built|
|1969||Big addition gym and T-Hall|
perry heights 1939, additions 1954 1971 1975 perry heights (enlarged)-acquired by evsc in 1950s when area of city was annexed Perry Heights Middle School was founded in 1939 as the first public school in the area for grades one through eight. The school replaced three rural schools: Wolf, Schmadel and Bockelman. The school was operated by Perry Township trustees.
Perry Heights was first constructed as a four-classroom school. It had a gymnasium- auditorium combination, girls' and boys' dressing rooms, a kitchen, and a dining room. indoor bathroom and a drinking fountain. It was the only county school with a gym, so all schools in the league had practices at Perry Heights. white? All of these schools were part of the Perry Township School District. This was before the city and county schools consolidated into the Evansville-Vanderburgh School Corporation.
The building had a major change in 1954. The original building stretched from the side of the present building that faces Hogue Road to the first entrance from the present day parking lot. The addition stretched down to the present office. The old cafeteria was split into two classrooms.
In the fall of 1961, the school opened to Kindergarten. In 1971, Perry Heights became a K-8 school added Kindergarten
A major additions took place in 1969, when Perry Heights expanded and built the T-hall and the basement. The new gym also came along until 1969. in 1976 when the school acquired a new gym. The old gym then became a 350 seat auditorium
In 1984, Perry Heights became a middle school.