View all images of Olivet Presbyterian
|1912||Church is built|
|1953||Parish house/school built in rear|
|1968||Olivet Presbyterian moves out to new location on Oak Hill Rd
Nazarene Missionary Baptist takes over church
|2008||Addition built in rear|
The growing Olive St Presbyterian church purchased a lot at Walnut and Bray (Bedford). The new church was designed by Frank J Schlotter in the Colonial Revival style and was dedicated June 16, 1912. As the church was no longer tied to Olive St, it was renamed at this time to Olivet Presbyterian
A manse was built in 1917 a few block away on Lincoln Ave. It was designed by F Manson Gilbert and located at the head of Bray (opposite Bedford).
A large parish house and school addition was built in the rear (south) in 1953
In 1967 Olivet decided to move out of downtown to the suburbs. Property on Oak Hill Rd in the Melody Hills area was purchased, and construction began in fall of that year. The church was sold to Nazarene Baptist Church, but Olivet didn't move out until 1968 when the Christian educational building/gym was completed at the new Oak Hill location. Nazarene Missionary Baptist moved from its old location on Linwood Ave and has been in the building ever since.
In 2004, the Christian Educational Facility was built in the rear along Bedford St