Historic Evansville

The definitive site for all things historic in Evansville

Old Central High School

Old Central High School


Old Central High School

View all images of Old Central

a.k.a. Evansville High School

203 NW 6th St
Evansville, IN 47708

Quick Timeline

1868 Evansville High School is built as first high school in town
1898 Tower erected, north and south wings added
1918 Renamed Central High School after Reitz is built
1971 School is closed as classes move to new Central out on First Ave
1973 Building is razed


Bounded by 6th St, Division St (Court St), 7th St (M L King Jr Blvd), and Vine St
District: Downtown
Latitude: 37.97507318
Longitude: -87.57000446
View map of nearby sites


Style: Gothic Revival / Romanesque (tower remodel)
Architect: Cockran & Garnsay (Chicago) with Clark, Levi S / Schlotter, Frank

original 3 stories tall 12 rooms sw side of 7th between division and vine 1910 It consists of one main building and side buildings which occupy a half a block while at the corner is the office building which is the headquarters as stated before, for all the schools in the city.


After having classes in various buildings, Evansville High School found a permanent home in 1868 on Seventh Street between Vine and Court Streets. Moved from Old First Baptist Church on Second and Clark The photo on the left shows the original structure from a head-on camera view. The photo on the right shows the school after the 1898 addition of north and south wings and a new tower in the center. The School Superintendent's Office is also visible to the left of the wing addition. The office used to be the German Reformed Church. old german reformed church -> 7th and vine moved from 2nd and clark water and oak lots 1866 but not LOCATIONS OF CENTRAL HIGH SCHOOL* 1854 First and Chestnut Street episcopal 1855 Second Street between Main and Locust old presby school 1855 First and Vine Street carpenters blk medical college 1855 Public School Building, Fourth Street, (Became Wheeler School) 1863 Second and Clark Street old 1st bapt 1868 Sixth and Vine Street 1970 5400 First Avenue (Students 1971 - 72 school year) *taken from a plaque in the front foyer of Central High School indoor toilets 1894 1903 acquired jewish synagogue (6th and court) presented as manual training school can see some details on side of building originally on 7th 1911 expanded to 6th and vine added auditorium completed 1912 A new high school was completed in 1918 on Evansville's west side. The new high school was named Francis Joseph Reitz High School and the original Evansville High School was renamed Central High School. renamed central when reitz was built, rosencranz in parapet rosencranz jr high school. later removed to only C In 1927, a boys gymnasium was built on Sixth Street opposite the school. moved 1970 The gymnasium is the only remaining part of Central High School and is occupied by the YMCA. The "Old Central High School" was razed in 1973 after the "New Central High School" was completed on North First Avenue. razed to build a new Y building but never materialized, y now uses the gym sanborn 1884 lone building >1895 <1910 two wings and manual training school <1962 sixth st section 1911-2 and gym


Over the years, commencement was held in various locations including the old Baptist Church at Second and Clark, Grand Opera House first bball team 1899

See also Schools / Education Downtown district

Research notes

+ Show research notes