View all images of Bethany Christian (Old)
|1913||Bethany moves to new church
Becomes Mormon church
|1956||Mormon church relocates to Olmstead area|
The church dates back to 1891 when it was founded as mission church of First Christian. It purchased property at Maryland and Jacobs but met at a residence at 1006 Mary St temporarily. In 1896, a small cottage was built on the lot.
The congregation was officially organized in 1897 as Bethany Christian.
1898-9 a church building fronting Jacobs Ave was built and dedicated Feb 5, 1899 (old building enlarged?)
The growing church bought a lot on Columbia at the end of Edgar. Ground was broken in 1911, and Bethany moved to its new location April 1913. The Mormon church bought the building in August 1913 and the Church of Jesus Christ worshiped here for years.
In 1956, the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints moved to an old brick home at 525 E Olmstead Ave. The Mormons later built a new church in 1961.
Bethany Christian purchased land back? and church was razed c1960