View all images of Old Assumption
|1840-1||Original church built on 2nd St|
|1872||Church moves to new location at 7th St and Vine St|
|c1889||Razed for BMA|
Brick building with belfry tower and bells. Basement
Catholicism in Evansville was established when a mission church was formed in 1836, later led by Rev. Father Anthony Deydier. In the latter part of 1838 he made a trip east to raise funds for the erection of a church building, and in 1839 a lot had been bought on Second Street. The cornerstone of a church was laid on August 5, 1840 by the French bishop of Nancy, Monseigneur Forbin Jeanson, and Rev. Stephen Badin, the first priest ordained in the United States, preached the sermon. The Church of the Assumption was completed in 1841 with Father Deydier as pastor and Rev. Roman Weinzoepfel as assistant.
Assumption Parish was the first Catholic congregation south of Vincennes, and it was the only Catholic church here until the year 1851 when Holy Trinity parish was organized by those Catholics who spoke only German. Assumption held separate services for Germans until that time.
Later a sisters' home was built on the corner of 2nd and Sycamore (202 u 2nd) and a priest's home was along Sycamore on the alley where the Grand Opera stood (215 sycamore).
In 1871 the new site of Assumption Church at Seventh and Vine was purchased. The church property on 2nd St was sold to Charles Viele for $50,000, of which $5,000 was due the bishop for the new site. Work began in 1872, and the church moved later that year. The old church was turned into a temperence hall called Viele Hall and was still in use for several years.
It was finally razed c1889 for construction of the Busniess Men's Association.
When Old Assumption was torn down, Holy Trinity became the oldest Catholic church (building) in Evansville