Historic Evansville

The definitive site for all things historic in Evansville

Jefferson Avenue Cumberland Presbyterian

Jefferson Avenue Cumberland Presbyterian
Jefferson Avenue Cumberland Presbyterian

View all images of Jefferson Avenue Cumberland Presbyterian

a.k.a. First Cumberland Presbyterian

333 Jefferson Ave
Evansville, IN

Quick Timeline

1911 Church is built
1951 Remodel and addition built
2003 Church closes


Jefferson and Governor
District: Washington
Latitude: 37.961091910224
Longitude: -87.559790611267
View map of nearby sites




In 1907 the Jefferson Ave Cumberland Church was forced to move from their old location due to a merger between the Presbyterian and Cumberland Presbyterian churches. A temporary sanctuary was built on the corner until the present one was erected in 1911. The temporary building (visible in the 1910 sanborn map) was moved to the rear of the lot (still there?)

built in 1911 333 jefferson ave? jeff and governor 136 Jefferson Ave. Mission Presbyterian 333 Jefferson Avenue 1910 Jefferson 140 Jefferson Ave.Church Presbyterian 333 Jefferson Avenue 1910 Jefferson 138 Jefferson Ave.Church Presbyterian Corner Jefferson Ave. & Governor Street 1908 - 1909 Jefferson first cumberland presby centennial 1976 (founded 1876) also cumberland presbyterian/first cumberland presbyterian church (called that after first one closed?) jefferson ave cp 1922 1939/c1930 renamed since only one [1940] cumberland presbyterian

The church was remodeled in 1951 when a new facade was but on

New Memorial Hall addition built to right (west) closes and moved out by end of 2003 last service oct 2003

used as central city ministry potters wheel

See also

Press article - 75th anniversary and history (1/4/1964)
Press article - First Cumberland centennial (1/30/1976) Churches / Religion Washington district

Research notes

+ Show research notes