View all images of Holy Innocents'
|1868||Holy Innocents' is built|
|1950||Building is razed|
Holy Innocents' was established in 1868 as the second Episcopal church in Evansville. It emerged in 1863 as a mission church of St Paul's Episcopal and grew into its own. Officially Holy Innocent's Memorial Episcopal, it was named after Charles Viele's two children that died at a young age. In fact, the building was paid for entirely by the Viele family and was sometimes called "Viele Church". The brick, English gothic church was consecrated March 3, 1868.
The dwindling church disbanded in 1918 and merged back with St Paul's. The parsonage was sold and razed in 1920. The church sold to Evansville Ice and Storage in December 1920. The plan was to move the mission east to the Bosse area and to take the church bell with it. If that happened, it did not happen immediately (Church of the Epiphany established 1936).
The church housed an assortment of businesses including a garage, dairy companies, and seed company. McCarthy Seed Co Glenn Echo Dairy Semi-solid Milk Co Riordan (Danny) Garage
Church was finally razed in 1950 to make room for an addition to the Evansville Ice & Storage Company.
Sometimes misspelled as Holy Innocence