View all images of Henry Reis School
|1914||School is built|
Henry Reis was built to replace the older, crumbling Olmstead school and also to serve the growing Stringtown area as the city expanded north. Plans were designed by Clifford Shopbell in 1912 for a two-story brick and stone school. Location was determined later when land on Stringtown Rd between Reis and Keck Avenues. The school was finally begun October 1914 and opened around March 1915. The school was named Henry Reis after the president of Old State National Bank (now known as Old National Bank).
H Gilbert Karges designed an addition to the school in the Collegiate Gothic style. The new section (north/right of the original section) was built from 1925-6 and nearly tripled the size of the school. additional facilities and rooms at henry reis 50s
Henry Reis school closed in 1968 just a few years after Evans School opened
In recent years it was known as the North Annex, which served as an alternative school and even held some adult classes before the EVSC Tech Center on Lynch Rd opened up. It is now home to Lifesong Academy.