View all images of Grand Theater
|1889||Doors open October 17|
|1909||Renamed the New Grand Theater|
|1938||Purchased by the Fine Brothers|
|1962||Theater closes and is razed|
reid bros adjacent to bma on sycamore The Grand Theater For more than 70 years, the Grand Theater (known historically as the Grand Opera House) stood proudly on Sycamore Street near Third Street. When it opened in the fall of 1889, the 1,700-seat theater rivaled the most lavish in larger cities, with its domed ceiling, gigantic chandelier, three tiers of boxes and two balconies. Early opera performances later gave way to vaudeville acts. In 1929, the first talking movie was introduced and by the 1930, the Grand was regularly featuring motion pictures. Through the years, the theater also was the venue for a variety of community events.
It closed its doors in 1962 and was soon razed to make a parking lot for the adjoining Vendome Hotel. closed sept 6 and torn down shortly thereafter lot was used for parking for Vendome http://local.evpl.org/views/viewimage.asp?ID=906812