Historic Evansville

The definitive site for all things historic in Evansville

Geier, George Saloon

Geier, George Saloon


Geier, George Saloon

View all images of Geier, George Saloon

321 E Columbia St, originally 1519 E Columbia St
Evansville, IN

Quick Timeline

1914 Store is built
2014 Demolished after car crashed into building


Southwest corner of Columbia and Governor
District: North Main
Latitude: 37.9846
Longitude: -87.559015
View map of nearby sites


Architect: Schlotter, Frank J


George H Geier saloon Home Realty Company (a subcorporation of F W Cook Brewery) had the store built in 1914 2 story brick with cafe/bus room kitchen 1st floor and several bedrooms and a bath 2nd floor Ccompleted December 13, 1914

<1918 Frank Diehl Saloon closed Prohibition

1935-1943 Conia LL (guy) lunch restaurant

<1948 Lee's Tavern, <1953 Hen House Tavern, 1953-1956 Reinie's Tavern (Eugene Rheinhart), c1958 dietsch restr, <1958-c1960 Colonial Bar, c1962-1965 Russ' Tavern, c1967 Peg's for Singers and Swingers

Lanhucks Bar since 1983

The building was hit by car during crash 3/19/14. Two days later the facade crashed down and the next day it was torn down after an emergency raze order was issued


Lanhucks was a combination of married owners Jim Lang and Ada (nee Huckeby)

See also

Evansville Press article - Couple takes over nightspot (6/29/1938)
14 WFIE News - Emergency demolition order signed for Lanhuck's Tavern (5/21/14) Businesses / Commercial North Main district

Research notes

+ Show research notes