View all images of Dress Airport
|c1980||Moved farther north|
The announcement in 1928 that a municipal airport would be built north of the city convinced citizens that Evansville would be transformed into the "Air Crossroads of America." Located just east of the Dixie Bee (now US 41) Highway, the new air field was dedicated later that year by a group of prominent businessmen and national aviation authorities, who had arrived in airplanes from several cities. The airport was officially dedicated on June 16, 1930, with 3,000 proud spectators on hand to view air races, parachute drops, and other exciting demonstrations. By then, the airport consisted of a hangar, terminal, and an aerological building capable of making weather observations.
1950 new terminal built
1992 1950-terminal razed http://local.evpl.org/views/viewimage.asp?ID=974444
Million Air / Tri-state Aero