View all images of Delaware School
|1896||School is built|
|<1910||Rear addition is built|
|1915||North wing is erected|
|1929||Expanded to Columbia St|
|1959||Original building are razed and replaced|
|1972||Back wing razed and new addition built|
Delaware School was built in 1896. It is a handsome and attractive building, which is on that street between Raleigh (Rowley) and Garvin streets. It has perhaps a more modern style of architecture, yet like the others it does not follow any known rules.
The school expanded with a north wing added to the rear of the original school <1910.
Another wing was added to the north in 1915, tripling the size of the school.
In 1929 a gym was built on the southeast corner of Elliott and Columbia.
The original school building was razed in 1958 when new facilities were erected to the South along Delaware St. additional facilities and rooms at delaware 50s
The back wing was razed in 1972 and a new building was erected at the corner of Garvin and Columbia.
After most of the old school was replaced in the 1960s, the oldest part remaining is the 1920s gym facing Columbia St.