Historic Evansville

The definitive site for all things historic in Evansville

Deaconess Hospital

Deaconess Hospital
Deaconess Hospital

View all images of Deaconess Hospital

600 Mary St
Evansville, IN 47747

Quick Timeline

1893 House at Mary and Iowa is converted into first hospital
1899 New hospital building is completed
1920s Additional floor and new wing change face of hospital
1948 New construction subsumes building and changes entrance
1970s Original hospital is demolished to make way for additional buildings


Northwest corner of Iowa St and Mary St, facing mary st?
District: Lamasco
Latitude: 37.983192
Longitude: -87.570965
View map of nearby sites




deaconnes hospital association formed 1892 protestant deaconess home and hospital inc june 1892 home corner mary and iowa major bryon parsons may 1893 protestant deaconess association purchases frame house at mary and iowa to establish 19-bed hospital parsons house at 604 mary st (old household) dedication jun 11 1893 1897 house is moved to back of lot (west) and new building constructed on the corner new building opened june 4 1899 In 1922, a four-story addition was built right (north) of the original hospital. Soon after, Deaconess added a fourth floor to the hospital which changed the roofline.

Further construction in 1948 provided administrative offices, two nursing units and a new entrance for the growing hospital. still extant in 1948 photo new wing 10/17/44 ep + sketch

Large wing created along Mary St to the north was completed in 1955later subusmed by hospital Hahn Building was completed in 1960 subsumed by expansions

expanded east 1970 "East Wing" across Mary St (expanded again east?) later expanded north to Columbia St

original hospital demolished in early 1970s 1971 leaving a 1920s section in the middle as the oldest part where surgery center now is 20 city blocks

See also Hospitals / Medical Lamasco district

Research notes

+ Show research notes