View all images of Culver
|1874-5||Campbell Street School is built to serve the Culver area|
|1905||Lightning strike burns down school, but is rebuilt|
|1921||Addition is built on Jackson Ave|
|1933||School renamed to Culver School|
|1983||Old school is razed when new building is completed|
The Campbell schoolhouse was completed in 1875 to server the Culver area. It takes the whole square between Emmet and Campbell streets and has beautiful grounds. 3 story 12 building 1880
Sometime around 1890 "Street" was dropped and the name was shortened to Campbell School
After the turn of the century, the building was struck by lightning and burned to the ground. During the time of its reconstruction, students were placed in Canal Street School for recitations. A much more handsome edifice designed by Schlotter took the place of the one that was destroyed.
in 1921 auditorium and gymnasium additions are built in wing to south
Campbell Street School was renamed to John M. Culver School in 1933/1936 in honor of Principal John Morton Culver (1902-1936).
1957-8 additions including large one at corner of Jackson and Judson. additional facilities and rooms at culver 50s
A new building was erected just southeast in 1982. The school moved to the new building next year and the old school was demolished shortly thereafter. 1957 addition kept and remodeled? or since expanded back across Judson