Historic Evansville

The definitive site for all things historic in Evansville

Evansville City Hospital

Evansville City Hospital


Evansville City Hospital

View all images of Evansville City Hospital

a.k.a. Evansville Manufacturers Association Building

a.k.a. Allen House

formerly 2-4 Upper 2nd St
Evansville, IN

Quick Timeline

<1880 Allen House is built
1882 Becomes city hospital
<1895 Becomes building for Evansville Manufacturers Assoc
c1898 Addition built
1922 razed to build cigar co


East corner of 2nd and Division (Court)
District: Downtown
Latitude: 37.972944
Longitude: -87.575058
View map of nearby sites




allen house on 1884 sanborn boarding

established 1882/3 by local physicians (including dr walker of the evansville sanitarium) old hotel building converted into a hospital staffed by kings daughters training school nurses city hospital 2nd and vine 1888 map (on legend, cannot find) (x on 2nd and div) X city hospital corner 2nd and vine 2nd and division

evansville manufacturers association building 1895 sanborn drawing in courier 8-18-1890

addition built c1898 vacant building in rear razed still standing as part of general cigar still there in 1903

crescent city shoe [1904] indiana shoe co [1906] Crescent Shoe closed early 1908

In the summer of 1908 it becomes the factory of the Hohenstein-Hartmetz Furniture Co, which relocates after fire in old factory john hubbard seed co [1910] first old hospital

razed 1922 (kept rear addn?) now where cigar co stands

See also Hospitals / Medical Downtown district

Research notes

+ Show research notes