View all images of Assumption
|1872||Church moves in from original location|
|1900s||Tower added to church|
|1965||Assumption is sold to the city and razed to make way for the Civic Center|
The church is of Romanesque style of architecture, of brick with stone trimmings and is said to be one of the most substantial church edifices in the west.
In April 1871 a lot was purchased at Seventh St and Vine St with funds from the sale of the old church. Father McDermott realized that the congregation would grow rapidly and built the church on a grand scale. The work began in 1872, and the cornerstone was laid on July 7 by Bishop le St. Palais with Very Rev. Bede O'Connor as speaker. The beautiful new Assumption church cost $75,000.
Next to it is the Sisters' Home and next to that the hall and school building which cost about $7,000. school in house on corner where rectory now stands two story brick building built in 1881
Tower added >1895 <1910 (detail in 1895 sanborn)
In 1944 the Diocese of Evansville was created, and Evansville became the See City for twelve southwestern Indiana counties. Assumption Church became the cathedral church for the newly-formed diocese. Henry J. Grimmelsman was consecrated as first Bishop of Evansville on December 21, 1944 and resided in the first chancery located in the Reitz Home.
When the plans for the new Civic Center were approved, the church was sold to city. Assumption Cathedral held its last mass January 17, 1965, and the cathedral moved to Holy Trinity Pro-Cathedral once the church closed. Sadly, the beautiful 93-year-old church was razed in May 1965. The Winfield K Denton Federal Building, which includes the downtown post office, is now on this site.
The church had to get approval from the Vatican to sell the land to Evansville.
When Assumption was torn down, Holy Trinity became the oldest Catholic parish in Evansville.