Search

Historic Evansville

The definitive site for all things historic in Evansville

Howell, IN

Howell 'TOWNSHIP' => 'Perry', Howell was a railroad town on the "far west" side centered around the old Howell Train Yard. It was named after Lee Howell, the local general freight agent for the L&N Railroad. It was annexed by the city in 1916 s barker formerly front st? hotels restaurants and saloons for out of towners engineers supposedly built on eninge (dearborn) and conductors signal st Howell - tekoppel koressel RR barker howell park stinson broadway HOwell school and bank. library and churches howell train yards featured press 8-26-1981
View Howell district


Railroad town on far west side, annexed 1916 named after lee howell local general freight agent for the L&N city laid out 1885 and shops opened 1889 with not more than half a dozen homes town boomed and by 1300 near turn of century 75% land owned by employees of shops Streets were renamed c1900 using an ABC convention barker actually crossed rr to connect to henderson rd
Old nameNew name
Howell AveArlington Stlater Ave
Lower Mt Vernon RdBroadway Stlater Ave
Engine StCambridge St
Electric StDearborn St
Signal StEmerson St
Vulcan StFremont St
Railroad StGarland St
Barker Ave-
Daisy AveCumberland Ave
Rose AveDelmar Ave
Lilly AveEwing Ave
Stinson AveFayette StLater renamed back to Stinson
Violet AveGlendale Ave
View HistoricEvansville.com sites located in Howell View the 1895 Sanborn maps of Howell 78 View the 1899 Atlas View the 1910 Sanborn maps of Howell 90, 99-103 View the 1962 Sanborn maps of Howell 90, 99-103 For more information on streets read here not in 1880 atlas http://historicevansville.com/atlas1899.php?id=howellHowel 1899 atlas