Historic Evansville

The definitive site for all things historic in Evansville

Unused postcards - Postcard History Series: Evansville

These postcards were not used in the postcard book either because of space limitations or they were duplicate in nature.

Postcard Caption
View of Evansville from Post Office, Evansville, Ind.
Downtown view from the Post Office with the Courthouse (center) about the only thing still standing. Holy Trinity Church and School are at left. The towers of Old Central and Assumption Cathedral can also be seen. (Engler family collection)
River Front, Evansville, Ind.
Here is the riverfront around the turn of the century. The view is looking northwest near the foot of Locust St. Merchandise had to be hauled from boats up to the stores above. All this is now replaced by Dress Plaza (Engler family collection)
New Junior High School, Evansville, Ind.
Here is the Central Junior High School built at the corner 6th and Vine in 1911. For a short while the junior high was called Rosencranz Jr High after its benefactor. Stone letters above the entry were later removed except for the "C" which conveniently stood for Central. Old Central abandoned this location in the 1970s and relocated. The old school was torn down and is now a parking lot. (Engler family collection)
Elks Home, Evansville, Ind.
The Elks Home, built from 1904-6, occupied the corner of 1st and Locust Streets. By 1974 dwindling membership and increasing maintenance costs forced the club to sell its home, and the building was converted into the Upstage Dinner Theater. Sadly, it burned down in the cold of winter 1977. Many will recall the fire-damaged building covered in icicles the next morning. (Engler family collection)
E. + T. H. R. R. Passenger Station, Evansville, Ind.
The Evansville & Terre Haute Railroad Station at 8th and Main Streets was built from 1903-4. It was later renamed the Central & Eastern Illinois (C & EI) Depot after the railroad was bought out. In the early 1930s when the C & EI was taken over by the L&N, operations were moved to the L&N depot on Fulton Ave and this station closed. It subsequently served as a USO Club, a community center, and even a car dealership for a while. When the site for the new Civic Center was chosen, the depot was demolished in the 1960s. The four pillars at front, however, were salvaged and are now integrated into the Four Freedoms Bicentennial Monument on the riverfront. (Engler family collection)
Return to book home