Historic Evansville

The definitive site for all things historic in Evansville

Evansville Woolen Mill

Evansville Woolen Mill
Evansville Woolen Mill

View all images of Evansville Woolen Mill

a.k.a. Charles Leich & Company

427 NW 4th St / 420 NW 5th St
Evansville, IN

Quick Timeline

<1895 built
1911 Evansville Woolen Mill closes
1914 Charles Leich & Co remodels building and moves in


first ave and bond
District: Downtown
Latitude: 37.976227590561
Longitude: -87.57356107235
View map of nearby sites


Style: No Style Listed



only remaining component of the evansville woolen mill factory complex a depressed market in 1911 precipitated the closing of many ot the countrys mills including this one leich forced to relocated after a fire destroyed its downtown pharmaceutical storerooms purchased the building in 1914 and engaged local architect harry e boyle to remodel it to accommodate its wholesale operations in the early 1980s the company acquired land in a suburban park but stayed spurred by federal tax credits for the rehab of historic buildings hired edmund l hafer to prepare plans for the companys current mutli-faceted operations his design included an architecturally compatible two story addition to the rear of the building which can be seen from nw 4th old cotton mill 4th and bond expanded to 5th >1895 <1910 1888-10 Evansville Woolen Mills 5th and bond 5774,3184 factory on corner adjoining wareroom on first av lemcke bros & johnson charles leich & co 1962

althoff-howard electric 1950 5-28-50ecp +pic top floor removed painted

later bruckens?

now a multipurpose/ small-business commercial building

See also Businesses / Commercial Downtown district

Research notes

+ Show research notes