Historic Evansville

The definitive site for all things historic in Evansville

West Side Bank

West Side Bank
West Side Bank

View all images of West Side Bank

2200 W Franklin St, formerly 1100 W Franklin St
Evansville, IN

Quick Timeline

1906 West Side Bank moves into this brand new building
1916 Addition nearly doubles size of bank
1932 Bank closes due to Depression
1935 First Federal moves in to building


Southwest corner of Franklin and 11th
District: Independence
Latitude: 37.980329207308
Longitude: -87.597507834435
View map of nearby sites


Style: Neoclassical
Architect: Harris & Shopbell


founded in 1902 to serve the financial needs of the residents and businesses west of Pigeon Creek, the West Side Bank opened its doors for business just after the New Year in leased quarters on West Franklin St. The bank was successful from the start and a couple of years later, its directors--men such as furniture manufacturer benjamin bosse, dr thomas macer, h frederick riechmann, and businessmen august rosenberger and leon currey--began planning for a more prestigious banking facility. in 1906, plans were implemented and a new building was erected on the corner of west franklin st and 11th ave, on the former site of the peter hess homestead (1857), store, and sausage factory. the architects were the firm of (william j) & clifford shopbell, and the design they developed was a limestone-clad, noe-classical structure that projected an image of tradition and soundness for the young bank. to augment the income of the banking operation, a two-story duplex was constructed at the south end of the bank building for rental purposes. the west side bank continued to thrive through the teens and the 1920s. in 1932, it became a casualty of the Depression and was forced to close its doors. since 1935, the building has been occupied by the first federal saving and loan association (rechartered and named first federal savings bank in march 1988), a west side institution established in 1904 as the west side building loan and savings association Shopbell did plans for addition 1916 built 1916-7


See also Businesses / Commercial Independence district

Research notes

+ Show research notes