View all images of 1107 St. George Rd
|c1836||House is built|
A 1950 photograph shows a classic Federalist-style structure, several barns and a whole lot of space. According to the late Ken McCutchan in his book "Saundersville," the original land tract of 160 acres dates to 1831 and lists Joshua Stephens as the owner. McCutchan adds that Stephens, a tanner, and his brother, Silas Stephens, a harness and saddle maker, emigrated from England around 1819. According to the abstract, the land was divided between the Stephens brothers and Gen. Robert M. Evans, for whom the city of Evansville is named. Silas Stephens, who later became a trustee for both the third and fourth wards, a judge and a member of the first county council, was married to Evans' daughter, Julienne. Based on tax assessments listed in the abstract, the house was most likely built by the couple between 1836 and 1838. A quitclaim was registered in 1838. Arthur and Rita Mongen, who have owned the property since 1947, did a little more sleuthing and learned the house and property changed hands several times in the mid-to-late 19th century, finally coming into possession of Joseph Marx in 1901, who operated the Marx Dairy Farm there for many years. The property was sold to Crane Realty after World War II; the house was remodeled and the remaining 80 acres were divided into lots for a subdivision. The Mongens have made several changes to the structure to accommodate 20th century living standards, but the facade is still entirely recognizable.