View all images of St. Anthony
|1894||Church is built|
brick romanesque spires 150 ft tall schaefer pipe organ
St. Anthony of Padua was the sixth Catholic church in Evansville and was conceived when land was donated by Magdalena Reis after husband died (Their former residence now serves as the rectory). Rev. Joseph Schuck was appointed its first pastor March 10th, 1888, and a church/school building at the corner of Second Ave and Columbia St opened that October. St Antonius Kirke, as its German parishoners called it, held masses there for several years.
When the church began to outgrow the old building, designs for a separate church were drawn up. The cornerstone for the new structure was laid on June 17, 1894, and, after nearly two years of construction, the church was consecrated May 25, 1896. Members of Evansville's Catholic parishes assembled at Holy Trinity and paraded to St. Anthony to celebrate the first mass in the new church.
The church experienced renovations in 1921, 1952 and 2003