View all images of Rex Mundi High School
|1958||Rex Mundi opens as Evansville's third Catholic high school|
|1972||School closes after dwindling attendence
Ivy Tech takes over facility offering classes in the fall
|2004||Huge renovation completely changes building's appearance|
Rex Mundi opened in 1958 as Evansville's third Catholic high school. Construction began in 1957 Construction 1957 8/18/57ecp +pic
As attendance dwindled, the Catholic Diocese needed to close one of its high schools. Memorial and Mater Dei made the cut, but Rex Mundi, affected by Central moving to the north side, did not. The school graduated the last class and closed in 1972.
The diocese leased the building to Ivy Tech who moved in September 1972 and later sold it to the college.
A major rennovation in 2004 modernized the facility and changed the building's appearance.