Historic Evansville

The definitive site for all things historic in Evansville



View all images of Sportsman's

a.k.a. Parnes Building

2315-2317 W Franklin St, originally 1215-7 W Franklin St
Evansville, IN

Quick Timeline

1913-4 Parnes building is completed and he opens his Crown Department Store
1923 A & P Grocery splits space with Parnes' store
2000s Sportmens opens


District: Independence
Latitude: 37.980790096307
Longitude: -87.59958922863
View map of nearby sites


Style: Commercial Vernacular
Architect: Frank J Schlotter


architect frank j schlotter was commissioned by bernard parnes to design this building in 1913 with a forty-foot-wide storeroom on the ground floor and living quarters for the Parnes family on the second floor. The building, completed early in the summer of 1914, was touted as having all of the conveniences of the uptown Main Street business houses, being equipped with gas, electric lights, and running water. The cost of the building with its pale yellow brick facade, stone trimmings, and basket-weave brick design was, reportedly, $35,000. Parnes dealt in general mechandise, and the name of his business was the Crown Department Store. It was a family-run enterprise. In about 1923, Parnes scaled back the operation and rented out the west half of the ground-floor commercial space to the A & P grocery chain. The Parnes family continued to reside in their apartment on the second floor for several more years until they moved to a large, two-story house featuring a commodius front porch on Lincoln Ave


See also Businesses / Commercial Independence district

Research notes

+ Show research notes