View all images of Old Sacred Heart Catholic
|1885||New parish builds church|
|1914||Church moves to new location on Franklin St
Building becomes a residence
Several English-speaking families had to travel more than a mile to attend Assumption -- nearby St Boniface was German. Therefore the bishop created the Sacred Heart parish in June 1885, the fifth Catholic parish in Evansville. Mr. John A. Reitz, a prominent and wealthy Catholic, donated not only the ground, but also the church, he himself supervising the construction. The Church of the Sacred Heart was dedicated November 15th, 1885.
In July 1913 the growing church bought a lot at Franklin St and Upper Mt Vernon Rd. When the school was completed in 1914, the parish moved. Mass was held in the sanctuary on the school's second floor. Sacred Heart church was later built in 1928. After the church moved, the old building was used as a residence.
1888 map has church on wrong corner (southwest)