View all images of O.K. Bakery
becomes VFW post
o k bakery built >1910 <1919 This commercial building, with its distinctive style and imposing size, was a familiar landmark on Evansville's near North side for decades. Erected in 1920, the brick structure originally housed the O. K. Bakery, which was one of 30 bakeries — nine of them on Main Street — listed in the city directory that year. The new bakery boasted many modern conveniences, including five skylights and large windows specially designed for "daylight" baking. After the company relocated to another neighborhood in the late 1940s, the old bakery was used by Brinkley Post 9632 of the VFW and housed other businesses over the years.
Nyla Cosmetics and the North Main Beauty Academy were among the building's last occupants before it was razed in 1987.