View all images of Center Township School No. 2
|1888||Mt Pleasant schoolhouse|
|1926||Turned into residence in the Craftsman style|
in 1880 and 1899 atlas Own a piece of history on Evansville’s North side! Home is a registered Historic Landmark. The Charles Sweeton House was originally built as the Mount Pleasant School.
Sweeton purchased in 1926, making considerable changes to convert to this wonderful two story Craftsman residence. it was a summer home for the owner of the Strand and other theaters. The first floor of the home features formal living and dining rooms with hardwood floors, a window-filled family room, and wonderful front and side porches. Living room has gas log in fireplace with ceramic carved mantle , built-in bookcases, and crown molding. Natural wood French doors connect dining room to family room. Family room has extra Jenn Aire cooktop in built-in bar. Kitchen offers ceramic walls, vinyl flooring, formica countertop, side by side refrigerator, crown molding. Front porch has four large pillars, swing, and ceramic pot holders. The second floor is highlighted by three large bedrooms, two full bathrooms, a sleeping porch, and a sitting area at the landing. Wooden shutters and crown molding throughout. Basement has been waterproofed. Updated electric to 200 AMP. Home is accessed via Old State Road with a rear circular driveway that also leads to the oversized three car garage. Lot features mature landscaping and a quaint gazebo. center twp - 1876 map block 29 http://local.evpl.org/views/viewimage.asp?ID=835077