Search

Historic Evansville

The definitive site for all things historic in Evansville

Louisville and Nashville Railroad Station **

L & N Depot

RAZED

L & N Depot

View all images of L & N Depot


a.k.a. Union Station

300 Fulton Ave, formerly 214 Fulton Ave
Evansville, IN

Quick Timeline

1902 Depot is built
1975 Vacated
1985 Razed despite opposition from citizens

Location

District: Lamasco
Latitude: 37.976375591028
Longitude: -87.581666707993
View map of nearby sites


Architecture

Style: Richardson Romanesque
Architect: Montfort,Richard


History

In February 1985, the depot was razed


Comments

peaked 1940s popularity of passenger trains died in the 1960s referred to as union station in 1965 http://local.evpl.org/views/viewimage.asp?ID=845128 april 30 1971 last regularly scheduled rail stop in evansville canope removed in >1960s <1978 http://www.thepde.info/Stations/Evansville.htm green lit 1901 3/23/01ec +sketch added to NR with plans to convert space to a new use but failed almost used for mets but municipal market chosen instead razed feb 1985 long since abandoned


See also

Press article: Possible reuse for depot (10/22/1982)
Press article: End of an era (3/2/1985)
HistoricEvansville.com: Other
Transportation:Rail
HistoricEvansville.com: Lamasco district

Research notes

+ Show research notes