View all images of Little Church on the Hill
|1832||Evansville's first church is completed|
|1848||Belfry and bell added during remodel|
|1863||Church moves to new location|
|<1884||Building torn down|
50 ft long x 30 ft wide x 18 ft high 8 windows with 40 panes of glass in each 10x12 and two doors in front
The Presbyterian Church was the first church building in Evansville in 1832. Presbyterians bought a lot in 1831 and erected the church on what used to be a hill. The building that stood on 2nd St near Main St earned the nickname "Little Church on the Hill".
In 1837, national theological divisions produced a local schism. Vine Street Presbyterian (later Grace Presbyterian) split off, forming the local "old school" branch. The "new school" branch remained at this location
The belfry and bell are added in 1848, and the building undergoes repairs. school added?
sold 1859? and proceeds used to build new church The congregation moved in 1863 to a new location on Walnut St and 2nd St and was aptly renamed Walnut Street Presbyterian.
The building was razed <1884. Does not appear to be on 1884 sanborn. strouse annex 1910 Later site of Courier building A plaque now exists on strouse building
As the first church building in town, the Little Church on the Hill held services for other denominations for the first 6 years.