Historic Evansville

The definitive site for all things historic in Evansville

Crescent Fire Co

Crescent Fire Co


Crescent Fire Co

View all images of Crescent Fire Co

a.k.a. Old Hose House No. 4

a.k.a. Ingle St School

623 Ingle St
Evansville, IN

Quick Timeline

1860 Fire station is built
1865 Jackson Fire Co
1874 Renamed Hose House No. 4
>1994 Building is torn down


Southeast side of Ingle between 6th and 7th / South corner of Ingle St and 7th St
District: Downtown
Latitude: 37.976452
Longitude: -87.570872
View map of nearby sites




the crescent city fire company house was built 1860 when fire protection in infancy completed by saunders sansom jun 1860 obtained bell for tower from the old Presbyterian Church disbanded c1865 ingle st engine house hand pumped engines still in use jackson fire company acquires building may 1865 also Ingle St School Ingle St School ingle st school [1871-2] 10th primary [1868-9]

disbanded 1871 last of volunteer firefighters in evv building probably vacant becomes house house 4 in 1874 replaced by new house house #4 in 1897 at baker and illinois a few blocks away c w hayward co 1913 keck & thornburg c1919 1925 samuel g newman pork packer / newmans pork houses 1927 lighthouse workshop for evansville blind assoc, relocated from 12th ave school 1950 evansville association for the blind <1973 Fiberglass products inc later Whiting Sheet Metal;82-196-0150 razed >1994

See also Government / Civic Downtown district

Research notes

+ Show research notes