View all images of Holy Trinity Convent
|<1884||Sisters home is built|
|1950||Reopens as Catholic Center|
|1965||Torn down after center moves out|
The Holy Trinity sisters' home was the convent of the nuns teaching at the school. In 1853 the Sisters of Providence came to teach the children of the Holy Trinity parish and in 1860 a school was built for the girls only. (convent?)
The former convent was later turned into the Catholic Information Center. It opened March 19 1950 providing library and information services.
The old sisters' home was vacated at the end of July 1965 when the Catholic Center moved near UE. The center relocated into an old house at 1901 Lincoln Ave and was renamed the Newman Center. The old building, the last of the original Holy Trinity structures, was subsequently razed. The site is now a parking lot.
It was termed a "vine-covered landmark".