View all images of Karch Farm
|1908||House is built|
Anne and Bruce Wright have renovated a "Victorian Vernacular" house at 4005 Herrmann Road. Anne Wright has collected history about the house and surrounding real estate, aided in part by Carol and Ed Elrod, descendants of Fred Herrmann, who built the house in 1908 for his daughter, Esther, and her husband, Fred Karch. The couple operated the Karch Dairy Farm there for many years. Their son, Marvin Karch, and his wife, Jesse (Kellems), assumed ownership of the house in 1939 and continued to operate a dairy farm for several years. Marvin Karch also operated Southern Indiana Barbecue from this location; he was a county employee with the highway department and was involved in local Republican politics. He died in 1991. According to information collected by the Wrights, Marvin Karch sold off the majority of farm property to pay for his children's college educations. The Wrights purchased the house and a little more than an acre of land from Marvin's widow, Jesse, and daughter, Vicki Ohl, in 1999. Old charms retained. They have made many updates and improvements to the interior of the house and property, but retained the original milking shed, corn crib and concrete milk coolers out back.