View all images of Garvin Park
aka garvins grove became park ,added to park system during bosse c1914-1922 blue and gray reunion held in 1887 named after thomas E Garvin prominent attorney and businessman
In this 1920 photograph, workers lay out an entrance to Garvin Park near Bosse Field, which had opened five years earlier. Situated at the terminus of Main Street, the scenic area originally was known as Garvin's Grove, the private property of Thomas Garvin, an attorney and banker. Although he had permitted the public to enjoy the grounds for years, his heirs sold 90 acres of the land to the city in 1915, which spurred the expansion of the city parks program. Garvin Park was laid out by a former student of Frederick Law Olmsted, who had designed Central Park in New York City. Such "pleasure gardens" offered a tranquil retreat for citizens from an increasingly crowded and noisy urban life.
1915 outdoor pool in garvin park (doerter) playground equip in garvin tennis courts in garvin