View all images of Friendship Baptist
|1925||Shiloh Missionary Baptist builds church|
|1933||Shiloh is evicted and church is abandoned|
|1939||Good Shepherd Chapel|
|c1944||Becomes Friendship Baptist|
Shiloh Missionary Baptist was built 1925 on Keller St
After not paying rent the church was siezed from the congregation December, 27 1933. They sued back but were unsuccessful, and the building sat vacant for a few years. Shiloh would later move to Fourth Ave and reorganize as St James Baptist.
The abandoned church was finally acquired in 1940 by the Episcopal church. It was the House of the Good Shepherd and functioned something like a boys and girls club. It was sometimes referred to as Good Shepherd Episcopal church, though it had nothing to do with the old Good Shepherd on Third Ave.
By 1944 the church became home to Friendship Missionary Baptist, which until then had met in a small commercial building at Sixth and Uhlhorn. The church is now Friendship Southern Baptist
An addition was built in the rear c1960 <1962