View all images of Franklin Bank and Trust
|1927||Construction is completed for Franklin Bank building|
|1951||Name changes to Old National Bank after merger|
in 1927, this classically-inspired bank building too the place of two old frame store buildings. McGuire and Shook, prominent Indianapolis architects, did the design work, using classical motifs and Bedford limestone to carry out the architectural program of the building. costing $100,000, the structure was erected to house not only the Franklin Trust Company operations, but also those of the West Side Building, Loan & Savings Association and the West Side Real Estate Company. It might be noted that in 1927, dr. john lorenz was on the board of all three companies. the Franklin Bank managed to survive the Depression years. In 1951, it was merged into Old National Bank and became of the the first branch offices of ONB In keeping with the early name of the bank, at the center of the parapet is a terra cotta roundel with a likeness of Benjamin Franklin in low relief. flanking the roundel and incised in stone are sayings a la Franklin: "Thrift is Power" and "Save and Succeed"