View all images of Reis House (704 N First Ave)
|1872||House is built|
|1910||Becomes rectory for St Anthony|
The exterior of the house is similar to the Heilman home with a central bay, corner quoins made of stone, bracketed window hoods, and balanced facade. However, the mansard roof, dormer windows, and dark color of the facing material give the home a French Second Empire look. An elegant side porch was located at the left rear of the building.
This stately home was built in 1872 for Anthony Reis, who moved from Cincinnati to open a tannery business. It originally occupied the full block between First Ave, Delaware St, Second Ave, and Columbia St.
Anthony Reis died in 1884 and in 1885 his wife Magdalena donated the northern part of the lot to the diocese on condition that a church be built there. St Anthony's parish was formed on June 13, 1888 and a school/church building was erected that year. Mass was held in the home's attic until the school was completed on November 4, 1888. St. Anthony's Catholic Church was eventually completed in 1896.
When Mrs. Reis passed away in 1910?, the residence became the rectory for St. Anthony Church. Due to the proximity of the mansion and the church structure, it is obvious that she intended the home to be used as such when the land was donated.