View all images of Heilman Residence (611 N First Ave)
|1869||House is built|
|1931||Turned into St Vincent's Day Nursery|
William Heilman 1869 now a day nursery, italianate, sophisticated with its air of noble simplicity and calm the fašade is smooth stone while the side and back faces are brick framed with stone quoins officer in george p heilman & co (millers), heilman plow co, and the heilman machine works mayor residence of hon wm heilman 1003 first ave the home occupies the whole city block [actually the center half of the double block running between Virginia and Delaware Streets]. exterior is Federal in style, constructed of masonry with the facade, corner quoins and window hoods faced with Green River limestone, called Green River marble in this area. The mansion was composed of sixteen rooms and a finished basement with a billiard room and an adjoining refreshment area complete with kitchen facilities. The interior along with the garden and grounds, were decorated in Italianate style, with many beautiful religious paintings, art objects, and tapestries filling the spacious reception and drawing rooms. Local artisans sculpted the eight marble mantels and the frescos on the walls of principal rooms were produced by John Alt. Windows were glazed with heavy French plate glass. A glass enclosed conservatory was located off the parlors on the south side providing the choicest and rarest exotic flowers. The exterior garden was complete with flowers fruit trees, three large fountains, and winding gravel walks by an ornamental iron fence. The mansion was given to the Daughters of Charity, who operate St. Vincent's Day Nursery at this location. The facade and entrance have maintained in its original form.
st vincent moved from old house at 517 bond 1931