View all images of Cook's Park
|c1842||Old Salt Well turned into park|
cooks park pigeon near w maryland c1822 explored salt well failed venture and fell into disrepair and overgrown site of old pigeon springs resort salt wells park c1842 nathan rowley and thomas gifford cleared land Pigeon Springs was a very popular health resort in the 1850s. had salt well (1852 map), not salt pool It was located on the east bank of Pigeon Creek, where Columbia Street now crosses. It had extensive buildings for lodging guests who came to enjoy the rest and the mineral waters. William Bates, the proprietor, catered especially to the Southern trade.
1867 sold to street railway 1875 cd crescent city springs 1880 evansville artesian springs park 1882 salt well(s) park
1890 built by cook brewing co on old pigeon springs Oldest Park in the city put up a club house and lake built 1915 outdoor pool in cooks park (west maryland) pavillion, outdoor garden and swimming pool later exposition park c1920 later Pleasure Park closed during prohibition clubhouse razed 1935 close to lamasco park now partly blocked where columbia-delaware bridge passes through gone by 1962