View all images of Columbia School
|1874-5||School is built|
|1895||Rear addition is built|
|1914||Annex built to east|
|1978||Columbia School closes|
|1979||Building is razed|
The Columbia Street School was built from 1874-5. It was another of the "outskirts" buildings that was put up to keep the scholars from taking too long walks to and from school. The original building was a 3-story building on Columbia St at the end of Oakley St (Oakley north of Columbia was then Dunk Ave).
Sometime around 1890 "St" was dropped and the name was shortened to Columbia School
In 1895, a large wing was added in the rear of the building.
An annex built at corner of Edgar and Columbia was erected in 1914. both towers were condemned after damage suffered during a tornado june 1914
From 1921-2, a gymnasium and auditorium were built on corner of Oakley and Maryland.
The school was razed 1979. Columbia Healthcare Center stands where the school used to be.
Incorrectly labelled as a high school on the 1888 map