Historic Evansville

The definitive site for all things historic in Evansville

Evansville Coffin Co


Evansville Coffin Co

View all images of Evansville Coffin Co

a.k.a. Evansville Casket Co

401 N Main St, formerly 1601-1617 Main St
Evansville, IN

Quick Timeline

1880 built
1930s Renamed Evansville Casket Co
c1953 Demolished


Northeast corner Main and Michigan
District: North Main
Latitude: 37.981215
Longitude: -87.563669
View map of nearby sites




incorporated 1881 Organized in 1881, the business manufactured "fine funeral furnishings" for markets that eventually reached as far south as Alabama. The four-story factory, located on the northeast corner of Main and Michigan, covered half a city block and produced 500 coffins a week by 1890. By then, Evansville's abundant supply of lumber, easy access to river transportation, and numerous railroad lines combined to make the city a leading manufacturer of wagons, coffins, furniture, and other products. Reorganized in 1944, the coffin company closed less than a decade later.

out of business in 1928? cannot find source pictoral book? renamed Evansville Casket Co >1932 <1934 sold 1944 and reorganized

moved offices to 412 N Main 1952 and built a factory in cambridge city for operations old factory sold for warehouse with planned addition

2222 n grand 1954 office and warehouse demolished by >1952 <1953 4/23/53ec +pic Now National City Bank opened oct 1953(first drive in bank in city) Integra on same site

See also

Courier Press - History Lesson (9/27/2011) Businesses / Commercial North Main district

Research notes

+ Show research notes