View all images of Chestnut-Walnut School
|1867||9th St School is built|
|1894||New main building is erected on Chestnut St|
|1913||New school is built on Walnut St|
|1921||Addition replaces old 9th St building|
|>1962||Chestnut St building is torn down|
|>1981||Walnut St building is torn down|
|2009||Old gym building is razed|
Its lines are beautiful and it is surmounted by a high tower, which gives it quite an imposing appearance.
Chestnut School, brought into demand by the rapid settlement of the city, was built in 1867. It was originally a 3-story building facing 9th St, aptly referred to as "Ninth Street School".
A new building fronting Chestnut St was built 1894. This building had the huge tower seen in most photos. The school then was more commonly referred as "Chestnut Street School"
The original 9th St building was torn down in 1913 to make way for a new one fronting Walnut St. When the new building was erected, the school became "Chestnut-Walnut School", though in some documents it was listed as "Walnut-Chestnut School."
A new building fronting 9th provided four additional classrooms as well as a gymnasium/auditorium were added in 1921. The neoclassical structure which was made of brick, was "well supplied with windows, furnishing the maximum of light and air." A centralized heating plant was installed under the building by which the two old buildings as well as the addition could be heated.
For some time the school served as a colored school The school closed 1962 kids go to Lincoln School
Chestnut St School was torn down sometime after 1962
Walnut St School was still standing and suggested as a museum, but torn down >1982 for warehouse. Only the 9th St addition remained, which was used as EVSC offices.
The 1920s addition was finally torn down during the summer of 2009. It was the last of the Chestnut-Walnut St School buildings and the school is now history.