View all images of Boehne Camp Hospital
|c1908||Tuberculosis hospital opens|
|1924||Renamed Boehne Tuburculosis Hospital|
|c1965||Hospital closes later a treatment center|
|c2000||Hospital building is razed|
founded 1908 in response to high TB open air tents for TB patients opens c. 1915 still open in 1965 Soon after the Anti-Tuberculosis Society organized in 1907 in response to an epidemic, a privately-funded tent colony was established on a farm on the city´s west side. Patients seeking a cure were sent to the colony for rest in the fresh air and sun. Soon the camp was recognized as one of the most advanced treatment centers in the country.
After 1924, the county operated the facility, which was renamed the Boehne Tuberculosis Hospital, in honor of John W. Boehne, a former Evansville mayor and U. S. Congressman, who had donated the grounds. This image shows several nurses lingering on the steps of their residence ca. 1915. The hospital closed as a tuberculosis treatment center in the 1960s. http://local.evpl.org/views/viewimage.asp?ID=891597 1970 became alcohol help 1972 the mills building (admin) renovated 30 bed and renamed gilliam hall purchased in 1977 with intention of becoming a dorm for USI instead tried to a assisted living home never reopened sat vacant
Main hospital building was razed c2000. In 2012 the old admin building was renovated as upscale apartments