View all images of 214 SE 1st St
|1858||House is built|
Thomas E. Garvin c1858-59, c 1850 greek revival thomas e garvin 1858 built for the highly respected lawyer two-story portico with a pediment outlined in delicate dentil molding and a lunette window cast iron door and window enframements are more in the Italianate style, a taste coming into vogue as the greek revival style was on the way out now starkey inn b&b The Thomas E. Garvin home at 214 S.E. First/2nd Street was built in the summer of 1850. The two story brick mansion has a Neo-Classical portico with columns extending to the gabled ceiling two floors up. Wrought iron window and door treatments are of the Italianate tradition. The iron balconies on the second floor are of the nineteenth century English Regency design. The yard and house is enclosed by a late nineteenth century iron fence. The design is typical of fashionable city homes in the deep South. A large entrance and hall are on the left side of the mansion; two large drawing rooms are on the right, the one in the front of the house more formal and the second one more informal like a sitting room or library. After passing the drawing rooms the entrance hallway led to a dining room which extended across the rear of the building. The kitchen, pantries, and servants quarters continued back so far that they adjoined the carriage house and stables. Sleeping rooms were located on the second floor. Mr. Garvin was a well-known lawyer and a civic leader in the community. He was one of the original trustees of Willard Library. He was among the first stockholders of the First National Bank (now National City Bank) and served as corporate attorney for many businesses and real estate developments in the city. Both Garvin Park and Garvin Street have been named in his honor.